The Perfect Elevator Pitch
At Finance Wales we’re passionate about investing in Welsh
businesses and have been since 2001. Pitching for funding can be a
daunting task, but there are some great techniques you can use to
sell your ideas to potential investors.
When you’re out networking you need to be able to sell your
business in what is called an elevator pitch. That’s a short verbal
presentation which usually takes less than a minute - the time it
takes to Travel a few floors in a lift.
So, how do you structure your elevator pitch? We have a few tips
1. Start strong - first impressions
- What’s your unique selling point (USP)? Do you have
exciting intellectual property (IP)? Do you have a dynamic
management team? Think of the positives about your company that
make you stand out from the crowd.
- What are you championing? – Tell the investor about the sort of
deal you’re looking for.
- Why should anyone back you?
2. Make it Stick - Repeat key info to make sure it
Tell us your success stories – twice!!
3. Be interesting and engaging but
Tell us what makes you unique or your project backable.
4. Focus on what matters. Be
- Do you have a business plan?
- How much investment do you need?
- What’s the market opportunity?
- Is there a strong management team who can deliver?
5. Flex your message
Prepare your pitch. Make it sound natural. But remember you
may need to think on your feet and adjust depending on who you’re
A customer will want to know about your product. An
investor will want to know about performance.
6. Be passionate!
Remember, If you don’t sound interested in what you’re talking
about you can guarantee that nobody else will be!
Practice makes perfect, if you’re looking for funding think
about these things in advance and practice your pitch before you
get in to that lift. Don’t be afraid to ask advice either –
Business Wales has
some great guides you can use. If you want to talk to us about
investment opportunities call 0800 587 4140 or email email@example.com.